Monday, January 22, 2007

Tale of 2 sisters

This blog is a collaborative effort on the part of 2 sisters, who are trying to make some changes in their lives. I am Ginnie, the younger sister by 10 years, and I have been overweight all my adult life. My sister, who will also post, is Connie, she has weight issues but has a bit more control than I do. We wanted to be support for each other, and thought this may be a good way to do that.

I have dieted forever, to the point where I don't really recognize hunger cues or being full. I eat from boredom. I eat too much sugar. SO, at the first of January, I decided to change things. I have a high risk of diabetes and heart disease, and it is time to face that. So, I cut out all sugar but my morning coffee. I am working on cutting out refined carbs, and eating more whole wheat pasta, and brown rice and so on. And I am eating less. I aim to make my entire meal about the size of my fist. That is about the size of my stomach. So far, I have been doing fairly well. I have eaten more fruit. I need more vegetables. Both of these are huge challenges for me. I am not concerned with being thin, though I would like to weigh less. But I want to be healthy and old and have adventures as I age.

Another of my big challenges is exercise. I hate it. Actually, I don't mind walking, once I start, but getting me started takes an act of congress. I hate the idea of it. So, that is on my list, too.

No comments: