Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Today is the first day of the rest of my diet

Well, okay, I know we shouldn't really call it a diet...but a lifestyle change. And today is the day I'm actually starting. I managed to convince myself that I didn't have to behave until Ginnie set up the blog. Oh, the excuses we use
I slept in this morning, which is highly unusual for me. I'm a morning person and always feel better getting up early and getting things done while I still have lots of energy. When I finally did get up this morning I was ready. I had found my...well I don't really know what they are called..but those stretchy things with handles that one uses to build muscles. I did 10 big stretches, which may not sound like a lot, but considering how long it's been since I've used them..it was just right. I could feel the pull in one arm, and I think that's a good thing.
One of my goals this year is to get a kayak. But in order to be a successful kayaker (as opposed to a drowned person) one needs to be able to get back into the kayak if it has flipped. Having little upper body strength has been a holdback for me. I'm very comfortable on the water, but much less so in the water. Needless to say, If I fall out, I really want to get back in. I think it would be a great form of exercise, as well as a delight to be able to access places I can't otherwise. Not to mention all the interesting animal life there is to see. So I am working on building the strength needed to become a comfortable kayaker (and one small enough to fit into the opening of the boat)
I would say one of my biggest issues is that I like to have a glass or two of wine most nights...and we all kow what the calorie count is on those. So I have cut way back. I've been allowing myself a little wine every few nights as opposed to every nght. It really hasn't made much difference. I think I drank them out of habit more than anything and haven't missed it terribly.
Like Ginnie, I like my morning coffee. My grandpa introduced me to coffee when I was pretty young. He would put a lot of milk and a lot of sugarand then a little bit of coffee in my cup. (Believe me, it did nothing to stunt my growth) I have modified it over the years to the point that their is much more coffee than anything else, and I have been trying to wean myself of the sugar. The milk I would probably keep because it seems to dull the acidity.
So now I'm off to breakfast, a small serving of high fiber cereal (oh yum) and then I will walk downtown to the bookstore. I'm still recovering from a nasty cold so don't feel like a super walk, but a walk would be nice.
This is going to be a good thing, I do think Ginnie and I can help each other get this load off of our backs (and our butts) As Bob Green says, we have to figure out why we eat, and why we are overweight. Seems like a simple question, but, as with so much in life, there are no simple questions, or at least no simple answers. We are trying and that's a good first step.

No comments: